Sunday, October 24, 2010

Charlotte Joan Davis

Charlotte Joan Davis just couldn't wait to meet us. She was born by c-section on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 at 6:13 AM after I went into labor.
I started having contractions on Monday morning right after my doctor's appointment. They continued all day but were really pretty short in duration and very inconsistent. I was in denial I think but as the night went on they got stronger and closer together. Around 3 AM we went ahead and called the Birth Center and they said I better come in to be checked because of the excess amniotic fluid. When I got there they confirmed that I was having contractions about 5 minutes apart. I was only dialated 1 cm and the baby was still floating really high (because of the fluid). The doctor on call and my doctor decided to go ahead and do the c-section at 5:30 AM!!!!! I couldn't believe it. It was really surreal but Todd was great and reminded me that we would get to meet our little girl really soon. It was a much needed reminder as I don't really like things to go other than as I planned.
The c-section went really smoothly and at 6:13 am we heard a cry and the doctor announced that it was a girl (phew).

The doctor held her up and she was so cute and my first thought was "well she doesn't look that big." And she wasn't. Our supposed 9+ pound baby was a perfect 7 pound 10 ounces and 19 inches long. After she was wrapped up Todd brought her over to me so I could see her and then he went with her while she was bathed and evaluated. Once I was all put back together I joined them and got to hold Charlotte for the first time.

 We spent 2 nights in the hospital and then came home on Thursday. We have been settling in and trying to get used to taking care of a new little life.

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness! She's so beautiful! And so tiny! Hard to believe my kids were evr that small, but they were right about her size at birth. I am so happy for you and hope everything is going smoothly. My best advice: Sleep when the baby sleeps (day or night).
    I love her hat in that photo. She's so stylish.
    We're sending youa ll our best from the East coast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to come back up and see Charlotte. She is such a beauty. In the pics I particularly like the one with the cross sitting on Todd's head.

    ReplyDelete